Krystal and the City

This is a blog for my family and friends to keep abreast of my goings-on in NYC.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Manhattan, New York

I am 23 and pursuing acting and professional waitressing in New York City.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Hard Times


Hiya

I've decided that because this is an open blog and anyone can read it... I will no longer be referring to the restaurant that I am working at by its proper name. You are all aware of the restaurant - so from now on it will simply be called "The place that just may be the death of Krystal" or PDK for short.

So I've been training for two days at PDK- and what I'm about to tell you may shock you. That's an exaggeration... but when I say the training is tough... I mean it. I'm getting my butt kicked and handed back to me on a plate. (Sorry if that was vulgar.) But it's the bitter truth. Not to say I am not doing an excellent job, (I am) - it's just proving a difficult training process. One that, hopefully, will reap excellent monetary rewards. And it will be nice making some new friends too. It's just that Christmastime is what they all refer to as "our crazy season" and they aren't kidding around. The place is right across the street from Radio City Music Hall, and it's madness this time of year. During your shift, you are basically running for 8 hours and hoping you serve some food along the way. It's not that intense... but close. I am enjoying parts of it though, and I know once I am actually interacting with customers, it will be great. But, basically, I train from 2-10pm each day and then go home and study for 3 hours so I don't fail the following days string of tests. But I am confident that once I get through training (and I will, by golly) that I will be an excellent PDK Employee.

My week is shaping up to be pretty crazy. I actually have today off - but then I am on the floor tomorrow from 3pm until midnight, then I have to work Friday morning for my cousin Greg from 9am-1pm, then I go to PDK from 3pm-Midnight. Then my friend Erin from Evansville is coming to stay with me for the weekend because she is involved in the reading at Primary Stages... so I have to meet her and bring her to the apartment (at midnight). Then Saturday morning I have a rehearsal for the Columbia Directing Scene I am in at 10:30 am. Then I have PDK from 4pm to Midnight. Then Sunday I have a rehearsal for the play reading I am doing at Primary Stage from 3pm-7pm. Then Monday I have rehearsal at 12pm for the same reading, and the performance at 4pm - which I am really excited about. Then Tuesday and Wednesday are final training days at PDK - and hopefully I'll be on the floor on my own the following weekend... If I pass my final test which is to serve dinner to the head manager and a serving assistant. If I do everything perfectly, then I pass. WHEW!!!

I know you are wishing you were me right now - but I'm sorry. You can't all be me.

"A college degree in theatre buys you time; Four whole years of not waiting tables for a living."~Anonymous

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can handle it Krystal!! Sounds like a busy schedule...you must be very, very happy!! The restaurant will be lucky to get you, just take your time during your checkride and don't let little mess ups get to you. Remember they know you are new and that you will only get better with time. You are missing all the freezing rain and cold here in Colleyville!! Get your rest and take your vitamins!!

LOVE ALWAYS,

DaD

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I believe I just talked to you and this entry was after that since Erin is already in town... but I really just wanted to leave you a note so that you know I got the secret facebook message. I guess I could have sent you the facebook message reply instead of this since this note does not pertain to your last entry of Hard Times... or does it!

You can do it, I believe in you and if you believe that I believe that you can do it then you have no worries. So send me a phone number to call someone at that PDK place to tell them how perfect you are! They probably don't understand the level of commitment and time management skills/multi-tasking capabilities some one such as yourself can handle, especially coming from UET where you are constantly the star of the show and a brilliant straight A student and not to mention giving me the tons of attention I require. While all those other PDK servers are running around hoping to get an order right you will be strutting your stuff and serving guests with that gorgeous smile. Giving them that little flirtatious, playful wink as you leave them in awe at their table; thinking that they have never tipped so much to a server, but any less would be insulting to a PDK goddess such as you.

I know, I know... that's what I can do with my degree from UE... too bad I got a BFA instead of a BS. =)

11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home