Krystal and the City

This is a blog for my family and friends to keep abreast of my goings-on in NYC.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Manhattan, New York

I am 23 and pursuing acting and professional waitressing in New York City.

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Too busy to think

So, I've realized lately that I've been somewhat neglectful of my relationships with people. I blame the city of New York. Seriously. It is so hard to just have a quiet moment and think straight let alone remember all of the people that I should be corresponding with or, rather, want to be corresponding with. I have friends who live in New York that I have yet to see simply because I am too busy and they are too busy for us to work it out. I've been here for over three months! It's ridiculous. The pace here is just crazy. And the weird thing is - when I finally do get to sit down with someone - I never want it to end because I know that once I get up from hanging out with them I will have to go back to the craziness of New York and I probably won't see them again for at least a couple of weeks.... It's insanity. Jana and I were discussing it at dinner this evening. Jana and Scott are my constants here. I can count on seeing them all the time - Jana at least twice a week or so - and Scott almost everyday- though there are days on end that I can go without seeing him... and he's my roommate!

My brother has an audition coming up this weekend - so everyone send him good vibes on Saturday afternoon. And I am busy preparing for my audition in Memphis. It's only a few weeks away - so only a few weeks left to become a good fake-dancer... ha ha. Good enough to fake them out into thinking I have potential. That's harsh - of course I believe I have potential. But let's be honest... a few weeks of dance lessons does not a dancer make.

I have to prepare a lot for these auditions. While the audition itself is only 90 seconds long - the callback sessions can go on for hours. I have to have reserve monologues prepared in case they want to see something else - including two Shakespeare monologues - which is really no problem - I just haven't worked on my stuff for awhile. But I have everything memorized so it shouldn't be too hard to get it up to performance level. I also have to have reserve songs in case they want to hear me sing a variety of things. And I have to have both the sheet music and recorded accompaniment - just in case the prospective theatre does not have an accompanist with them. Whew! It's a lot - but I'll be ready.

I talked to Kyle tonight and Amy earlier today - my Evansville friends are all preparing for their big grad school auditions just like I did last year. It's a very stressful time for them as well - so I'm wishing them the best. I had such a fun time in Chicago auditioning last year with all of my friends. While I did not get into grad school, it was definitely a fun time and a learning experience. I still don't know if I would want to audition again for grad school, but I have been thinking about it. I feel like grad school would make me a true professional actor - where as right now I kinda consider myself amateur - at least until I get some more experience. But that's a whole other story. I'm working on getting experience and that is why I am really preparing for these Memphis auditions! Woo hoo!

Love and hugs -
Krystal

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Lovee, you will do a great job at the Memphis audition! You have what it takes and you do believe in your self! I know you will do very well...just remember the mental attitude you need going in. Nice mention of your brother, you always were the best big sister! I love you! Break a leg!!! XXOXOXOXOXLove, Mom

4:38 AM  
Blogger BethanyShields said...

T minus 10 weeks until I am there to beat up New York for you!

5:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Krystal Ann,
Great blog thanks for keeping it up!! Sounds like you will be fantastic in your Memphis auditions!! I can't wait to hear all the offers you will have to choose from. Thank Bethany for being such a great friend and always responding to your blog!! Also we appreciate you thinking of Sean and will let you know how his audition works out. I love you and look forward to talking to you soon!!

LOVE ALWAYS,

DaD

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home