Krystal and the City

This is a blog for my family and friends to keep abreast of my goings-on in NYC.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Manhattan, New York

I am 23 and pursuing acting and professional waitressing in New York City.

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Fun Weekend

The past three days have been really fun. Let me tell you all about it....

So on Thursday my furniture came from Ikea - it was six boxes of... let's just call it...materials... that I then have to assemble (somehow) and out of all of these materials, create a large wall-length shelving system and a full sized bed frame and headboard. Ha ha ha. But seriously. That same day, a desk and file cabinet that I ordered from Staples arrived - also to be assembled by moi. So... I was a little overwhelmed. But I had no time to concern myself - because I was off to get my free haircut at bumble & bumble salon!

Turns out - everyone who trains at bumble & bumble - at least those that practice their technique on hair models - are already trained stylists. They just go to bumble & bumble to learn new cutting edge techniques... cutting edge... get it? ha ha ha... So bumble & bumble is more like haircutting graduate school than a beauty school. So I was relieved that an experienced stylist would be cutting my hair and not a student as I originally thought. I was getting the "long layered razor-technique" - which means they splice layers into my hair and trim it using only a razor to do so. It was pretty cool. And I love the result! It's very cute. I have very cute side-swept bangs. I'll post a picture soon! But that's enough about that.

So then I went back home and assembled my desk and filing cabinet - because those were the smaller of the four daunting tasks I had ahead of me. And I did it pretty quickly - so I was proud.

Friday morning I got up early and assembled my shelving unit. It's fairly giant and it took awhile... but I did it all myself! And it looks great. Then I unpacked the rest of my boxes and loaded all of my books, etc. onto the shelves. So, finally, all of my boxes are unpacked. Yay!! Then my friend adam was supposed to come over and help me assemble the bed, but he was running late, so I started to do it myself... and I got the entire bed frame set up on my own! But then came the complicated inner working support that holds the mattress up... so I waited for Adam for that. And he was very kind and we got it together in about an hour. So now I have a room! Yay!

That night was wonderful too! I met my Uncle Dan & Aunt Barb at this great little italian restaurant in the theatre district - it was really good. And then we went and saw the broadway musical The Drowsy Chaperone (it won the Tony for best musical this year!) and it was wonderful! Did I mention the tickets Uncle Dan got were in the SECOND row?!?! They were AWESOME seats and it was so cool to be that close and to see all of the little things the actors do. It was wonderful - and the show was sooo funny and good. I loved it. I am very appreciative to them for it.

Saturday I spent cleaning up the apartment and putting away the rest of my stuff. And then that afternoon I met Dan & Barb at an alumni reception for the performing arts high school that Aunt Barb is artistic director for. It was neat - I met some people who have been very successful here in the city and it was fun to hang out with them. Then Dan & Barb came over to my apartment to meet my roommate and see the place that I live! I think they really liked it a lot (both the apartment and my roommate...) so that's good. Now they can report back to my Mom & Dad and assure them that I am safe here in the big city....

That night a couple of friends came over because they hadn't seen my place yet. That was fun - we just kinda sat around and talked. I love that my college friends are here, because otherwise it would have been a bit lonely adjusting to the city. I also can't wait to meet new people. I am going to start taking more classes and hopefully once I have a job I will start meeting new people.

And I am very thankful to have gained an hour today. Hooray for fall! I hope everyone is doing well and sorry for the ultra long post....oh! Tomorrow I am meeting with a career counselor who is also a theatre director/choreographer who has had a pretty remarkable career. He's going to help me with audition material and my headshot/resume and just kind of guide me in the right direction as I'm starting out here in the biz. Hopefully he will be very helpful. I'll keep you posted...

All my love.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi KO!!
Congrats on getting settled in. I can't wait to see pictures of your room and haircut. I'm glad your visit with Dan and Barb was fun,I'll be talking to them tonite. We all miss you and wish you every success!!LOVE ALWAYS!!
DAD

9:03 AM  
Blogger Krystal said...

Thanks Daddy! And Beth: I have a full sized bed. So, remember that time we both saw a scary latino hovering over us at sarah's grandparents? It'll be a lot like that. Only there *hopefully* will not be a scary latino. I can't wait!

1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad you are getting settled and that you had such a good time with Uncle Dan and Aunt Barbara. Their visit came at a good time for you and I know you loved going to the theatre. Enjoy the "big city" and all that it offers. God bless. Love you, Mema

2:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lovee, good job getting your stuff put together! We talked to Dan-Dan last night and he went on and on about how well you have adjusted to the Big City life..he was very impressed. It was so good to hear his impression of your life there...we haven't talked to Barb yet, she was out last night. I can't wait to see your hair cut. I love you! MOM

4:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home